2018-19 QUEBEC WRITERS OUT LOUD FUND
Public Readings by English-language Quebec Writers
Funded by The Canada Council for the Arts and the Roadmap for Canada's Official Languages 2013-2018 Education, Immigration, Communities.
The Quebec Writers' Federation fund for the Quebec Writers Out Loud program to support readings across Canada by Quebec-based English-language authors was renewed in 2016 for the period from April 1 2016 to March 31 2019.
The Quebec Writers’ Out Loud fund is fully committed for the year April 1 2017 to March 31 2018. However, it is possible that some funds will be freed up due to cancellation, so you are welcome inquire or submit an application on spec.
We are now accepting applications for the year April 1 2018, for events until March 31 2019.
The Quebec Writers Out Loud program is designed for public presenters throughout Canada, including but not limited to ongoing reading series, libraries, bookstores and literary festivals. See below for details on the program, eligibility criteria and application procedure. Authors must be QWF members.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Through this program, the Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF), with a grant from the Canada Council for the Arts, will reimburse honoraria and travel costs for public readings by English-language (EL) Quebec authors held by organizations across Canada. The goal of the program is to increase opportunities for Quebec (EL) authors to be heard outside of their immediate area, and particularly to enable them to travel to other parts of the province and country. As such, readings within 15 kilometres of the hometown of the writer will not be funded. If funds remain unspent as of January 2019, that restriction may be lifted for the remaining three months.
The normal Canada Council rates apply, with a 20% supplement due to the fact that English-language writers in Quebec are members of an official language minority. QWF pays the author an honorarium of $300 per full (solo) reading or a $150 honorarium per half (joint) reading. We also reimburse travel expenses up to the following maximums:
|For up to three full readings per trip:||For up to six half readings per trip:|
|First reading:||$480||First two readings:||$360|
|Second reading:||$480||Second two readings:||$360|
|Third reading:||$360||Third two readings:||$240|
|Total maximum covered:||$1,320||Total maximum covered:||$960|
Organizations that intend to organize four readings or more (i.e., a tour, as defined by the Canada Council) may request up to $1,400 as a contribution toward travel costs, accommodation, and per diem.
For destinations located above the 55th parallel and remote parts of the country, organizations can ask for doubled travel amounts with a written and detailed justification of related costs.
- The host organization is responsible for the author's accommodations and meals.
- Readings are limited and will be funded on a first-come, first-served basis. Each author and each presenter may have up to five readings funded between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019. In January 2019, if funds remain uncommitted, QWF may choose to drop this limitation.
- All readings must be completed by March 31, 2019.
Please note: The Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF) does not reimburse reading fees and travel expenses to hosts or festival organizations. QWF will reimburse authors directly, after the event has taken place and upon receipt of the author’s reading report and invoice form with original itemized receipts. Under this program, we cannot reimburse any travel expenses from outside of Canada.
Host organizations/Venues/Formats: To be eligible for funding, the reading(s) must be held in a publicly accessible venue (library, bookstore, festival location, etc.) and advertised to the community at large.
This program cannot fund conferences, workshops, roundtable discussions, fundraising events, or book prizes. QWF Quebec Writers Out Loud cannot fund readings for which honoraria and travel costs are funded by another Canada Council program.
- Invited writers must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada, and must be QWF members.
- Writers must have published at least one eligible book with a recognized professional publisher. An eligible book is one that the writer has written in one or more of the following literary genres: novels, short stories, poetry, drama, children’s and young adults’ literature, graphic novels or literary non-fiction.
- Literary translators are eligible provided they give a joint reading with the original writer of an eligible translated book.
- Authors whose publications include only self-published books or works in anthologies, literary magazines, web publications, community newspapers, free or student newsletters, or newsletters of associations or other organizations.
- Authors who sit on the board of QWF for the period during which the host organization has applied for funding.
- Authors who are administrators, directors, or volunteers with the host organization.
- Authors who fill a professorial position at a post-secondary institution serving as a host organization.
HOW TO APPLYThe host organization must contact and arrange a date with an author before applying for funding. For help contacting a Quebec author, write to Rachel McCrum [ rachel AT QWF DOT org .
Once an author and date have been secured, download and complete the application form and submit it to QWF.
The completed application form should be sent in at least FOUR (4) weeks in advance of the reading date.
Once your application has been approved, confirmation letters will be sent to both you and your requested author. NO FUNDING IS CONFIRMED UNTIL THE HOST HAS RECEIVED A BOOKING CONFIRMATION FORM FROM QWF.
For more information about this program, please contact Lori Schubert [ admin AT QWF DOT org ].
QWF gratefully acknowledges the assistance of the Canada Council for the Arts.