About the QWF
The Quebec Writers' Federation (QWF) is playing an increasingly prominent role in the life of the Quebec English-language literary community as an arts presenter and professional and community educator, as well as the representative of Quebec's English-language writers. The diversity of its activities reflects the diversity of its membership. Along with professional and emerging writers, the QWF includes those who have a personal interest in writing and many who have joined because they are interested in high quality literary events, activities and programs. All of these constituents are linked by the QWF vision that works toward ensuring a lasting place for English literature and its practitioners on the Quebec cultural scene.
QWF is a registered charity (14031 9518 RR 0001) with the following legal purposes:
- To provide tangible community support for the promotion and encouragement of English language literary arts within the province;
- To recognize the achievements of Quebec's English language writers through the establishment of annual literary awards;
- To undertake activities which will increase public awareness of the literary arts and of literary institutions within the province;
- To apply for, raise and receive grants, bequests, legacies and devices and to hold, administer, invest, expand or deal with the same in furtherance with the purposes of the Society.
2017-18 QWF Board Members
- Executive Committee
- President: Linda Morra
- Vice President: Branka Petrovic
- Treasurer: Leigh Kotsilidis
- Secretary: Katia Grubisic
- Jason Camlot
What we do
In order to promote and encourage English language writing and writers in Quebec, QWF is involved in a wide range of activities, publications and programs. They include:
- A Mentorship Program that pairs emerging writers with established authors on writing projects
- Writing workshops to hone skills, such as short fiction, memoir, travel-writing, marketing for freelancers, novel-writing, poetry, screenwriting, writing for children, etc.
- The Literary Prize for Young Writers, awarded annually to an emerging writer who is a resident of Quebec and who is between 16 and 24 years old. The award is for the best short story, poem, or work of non-fiction written in English and published in an official literary publication.
- Writers in Schools and Writers in CEGEPs programs, which bring authors into the education system;
- Writers in the Community brings the literary arts to those who are left out of the artistic mainstream;
- Hire A Writer is a coaching and editing directory compiled by the Quebec Writers' Federation.
- Writers Out Loud, a reading/interview series that features internationally acclaimed fiction, non-fiction and poetry authors from Quebec;
- Quebec Writers Out Loud, a fund to help Quebec-based English-language authors travel to festivals and readings across Canada;
- Words & Music, the QWF's literary cabaret, which takes place on the third Sunday of every month;
- carte blanche, QWF's online literary journal;
- “QWF Writes” is the Quebec Writers’ Federation’s monthly online column. The column provides an arena for writers to share and discuss ideas, experiences and opinions relevant to our unique writing community;
- A book collection of all former QWF Award winners, dating to 1988, housed at the Atwater Library in Montreal;
- Maintenance of a growing database of all English language Quebec writers and their books on the web.
In addition, QWF collaborates with the following programs and partners:
- Association of English-language Publishers of Quebec (AELAQ)
- Atwater Writers Exhibit
- Batshaw Youth and Family Services
- Bishop's University
- Montreal's Blue Metropolis Festival
- CBC Montreal
- English-Language Arts Network (ELAN)
- The Institute for the Public Life of Arts and Ideas (IPLAI) at McGill University
- Kahnawake Survival School
- The Morrin Centre of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec
- La Maison de la poésie de Montréal
- The Quebec Federation of Home & School Associations (QFHSA)
- L'Union des écrivaines et des écrivains québécois
- Université de Sherbrooke
The QWF Awards
Every year, QWF shines the spotlight on the best English-language writers to emerge from Quebec. The Awards Gala, which began in 1988 under QSPELL, has grown into one of Montreal's most eagerly-anticipated literary events, and includes:
- the Paragraphe Hugh MacLennan Prize for Fiction;
- the Mavis Gallant Prize for Non-Fiction;
- the A.M. Klein Prize for Poetry;
- the Concordia University First Book Prize;
- the Cole Foundation Prize for Translation/le Prix de traduction de la Fondation Cole;
- the QWF Prize for Children's & Young Adult Literature and;
- the Judy Mappin Community Award
Benefits of membership
QWF members receive:
- A membership card that entitles them to reduced subscription rates to certain Quebec-based magazines, as well as discounts at selected bookstores, literary events, and various arts events in Quebec.
- Bi-monthly e-newsletter and e-notices with calls for submission, contests, red-hot literary news, and invites to QWF networking events.
- Reduced rates for QWF Workshops.
Major funding for QWF comes the Canada Council for the Arts. We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $153 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country. It also comes from the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ) and Conseil des arts de Montréal (CAM), prize sponsorships, membership fees and donations.